Plaza News
Plaza News
Main Menu
Library Book List
Home > English Home > Living in Miyazaki > Driving in Japan(October,2007)

Driving in Japan(October,2007)

One best be careful when driving in a foreign country, for each country

has different traffic rules. So for your awareness, here is some information

on driving in Japan.


●Traffic rules you need obey  

Do not use your cell phone while driving.   ※If you break this law, you will be punished by a fine of up to ¥50,000.

When driving a car, the driver and all passengers are required to fasten their seatbelts. When riding a motorcycle, make sure to wear a helmet.

Make sure to have a car seat for children under 6 years of age.

Pedestrians have the right-of-way.


●Penalty for drunk driving

Penalties for drunk driving are quite severe. Your license may be suspended or revoked for just a single offence. If there are casualties as a result of an accident you have caused, you may be sent to a prison designated for traffic law offenders.

Drunk driving・・・Prison term of up to 5 years or a fine of up to 1,000,000.Driving under the influence of alcohol・・・ Prison term of up to 3 years or a fine of up to 500,000. 

People are also subject to punishment for the following ctions:

   ・Providing alcoholic beverages for a driver.

   ・Lending a vehicle to a person you know to be drunk.

   ・Riding in the car of a person you know to be drunk.   


●Car insurance

Car and motorcycle owners are required by law to apply for automobile liability insurance (Kyosei-hoken). However, this insurance alone will not cover any property damage resulting from an accident and may not fully provide compensation in the event of an accident. Thus, we recommend also applying for voluntary insurance (Nini-hoken), since most liability costs are well beyond the amount of compensation provided via Kyosei hoken.


●If you are involved in a traffic accident 

Move your car to a safe place out of the way of traffic.

Call an ambulance (Dial 119) if there are any injures and administer    

   first-aid if possible.

Call the police( Dial 110), report the accident and await directions.

  You are required by law to report automobile accidents to the police.   Failure to do so is punishable by law and may result in your inability to obtain a traffic accident certificate for insurance claim purposes.

Donít leave the scene of the accident until a police officer arrives.


As always, if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, please contact the Miyazaki International Foundation at (Tel) 0985-32-8457, (Fax) 0985-32-8512, or (email) Thank you.


Printer Friendly Page
Korean Japanese Chinese Home Login Contact